Friday, March 13, 2009

What's in a Name?

My name is Paula, and I am just switching into WAHM mode. I have been home for 3.5 years, since the birth of my son, and now also have a one year old daughter. Prior to being a mother, I worked in advertising and had worked my way up to an Account Director in charge of the major accounts at an advertising agency.

Motherhood changed those plans, however, and I love being a stay-at-home mom. A few things are pushing me back into the workforce, though. First, I sometimes feel that my brain is just not as sharp as it once was, and I want to keep challenging myself in new ways. Second, with the current economy, our usual standby of my husband's bonus and raise have gone out the window, so additional income would be welcome.

As such, I want to start an at-home business of proofreading and editing, both of which I did at the advertising agency. I will be posting the challenges and tidbits of starting a business, and will hope for some encouragement and criticism where needed.

First things first. I am currently trying to think of a name, and could use some help. I originally thought of "Miss Takefree Communications", but none of my friends got the "Mistake Free" connection. Any other opinions?

4 comments:

  1. Awww, I totally got the "Mistake Free" thing & thought it was super cool! It needs to be catchy & memorable, which that is. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions off the top of my head, but I do like your original choice or something along those lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Take no Mistake" ? Just a thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula! We need to meet. I have a similar background to you...although I went senior ad exec in a small agency to client-side. I migrated from SAHM to marketing entrepreneur. I've just started out. Maybe my clients-to-be could use your services. Check out my corporate site: http://www.mpoweredmarketing.com for my business. And http://www.marketingmomblog.ca to see our similar stories! I'm sure we'll connect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW... I love your business name idea. Wish I met you coming up with mine. I don't love it, but I had to get the business started, so I made it work for me. Now it makes lots of sense! I can introduce you to a great designer who does wonderful logos for an affordable price, in case you can't wrangle any former colleagues into it. The Miss Takefree might limit your business to just women, fyi. If you don't want to do that, then you might want to rethink it anyway. Queen of the Typos? (Sorry, we watch Olivia the Pig, Queen of the Trampoline). Typo Free Zone. More of a tag, than a name. Wise Eyes. A Good Read. Paulaproofed. Write Read Proof. Proofer Approved. I'm terrible at name ideas. Just wanted to let you know I actually read your request. Mistake Free or Miss Takefree... both are better than my ideas.

    ReplyDelete