Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spirit of Poverty - Part 5

Are you struggling financially? Want to break out for good? There are principles for living that are found in the Bible that will allow you to do just that. I've been posting these on my blog for several weeks now. Here's the one I'm posting this week, and you can follow the links to get any back posts.

Ok, so we're picking up our theme again, on the Spirit of Poverty. This is part 5 and we're looking at a few related areas today that Bill Axtell shared with me. Here they are - Enjoy!

Start living below your means. Just because you have it doesn’t mean you have to spend it!

  • Proverbs 22:7--"The rich rules over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the lender."

Don’t always be looking for "greener pastures". Be satisfied with what you have now. Don’t fall prey to envy and covetousness. Remember that everything is God’s. When you buy frivolously on credit you are not giving away your money, but God’s money! But consider the cost, and whether it is worth the cost of carrying the credit into the future and whether you have the income to not only make the payments but also listen to God and do His Will first? Follow the example of Paul who was satisfied with where he was no matter what the circumstances.

  • Philippians 4:12-13--12 "I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Break the yoke of selfishness. This is how Satan plants the spirit of poverty in our lives. Self-centeredness is all about what you want, or what your children want, not what God wants. We must confess selfishness and turn away from it in order to break its hold on us.

  • Galatians 5:1 -- "Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage."

Get into God’s Word, pray for wisdom and knowledge and He will give it to you. Walking in Godly wisdom has promises.

  • James 1:5-- "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all lliberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."
  • Proverbs 3:1-2-- "My son, do not forget my law, but let your heart keep my commands; for length of days and long life and peace they will add to you.".

Honor the Lord with your possessions, and with the first-fruits of all your increase;

  • Joel 2:24 "So your barns will be filled with plenty and your vats will overflow with new wine."

There you have it. I hope it's been as helpful to you as it has been to me! Join me next Wednesday for another installment!

Darlene

No comments:

Post a Comment