Tuesday, March 17, 2009

There Are Moments...

I absolutely LOVE being a Work-At-Home-Mom. I wouldn't change it for the world. I am doing something I enjoy while spending lots of time with my children, and staying involved in their lives. I can't imagine a better situation.

But there are moments, like the one a few minutes ago when I my 1 year old son was throwing his toys, flailing about on the floor and screaming at the top of his lungs for what seemed to me to be no reason at all. Or like the moment, right now, when I am trying to type this and he is reaching his tiny fingers over to push random keys on the keyboard. Or like the moment when I wonder if I am going to make enough to get by this month.

In moments like these, I wonder, what was I thinking??? Giving up a perfectly stable, regular paycheck, not very stressful job? A place where I could finish a cup of coffee before it was cold, and eat lunch at lunch time. A place where I could type in peace.

But then, just when I am thinking about checking the job postings, there are moments, like when my one year old brings me his favourite book and grabs my hand to put the book in it. Or like the moment when my 7 year old boys come out of school and run over to meet me with smiles on their faces. Or the moment when a friend calls in need of some adult conversation, and I am able to re-arrange my schedule to meet her for coffee and playtime.

Every mother makes the most difficult decision when she decides what to do with her life after having children. And we don't always know what is going to work out best for us, or how its all going to turn out. We weigh all the costs and benefits, and make the best choices we can.

As for me, I am going to forget about those job postings, and work on my marketing plan. For me, for now, I am a WAHM, and the good moments far outweigh the bad.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, ya! I wish I had a dime every time I asked myself, "is this really worth it?" It certainly is though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a one year old and I can totally relate! I have just started this WAHM plan since Jan 2009 officially and yes my little son loves my printer/fax and laptop far more than his floor full of toys to play with... lol

    The "Wahm Drink" Cold nuked coffee for the third time :S :D Awww yes but then my little guy crawls up on me and grins and I remember why I am at home and hoping this all works out the way I want. Just know you are not alone! :)
    (yes it is the early early morning and I am still up Sewing...I will have to stop that soon! ) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shawna
    Can totally relate to your note.
    Thanks for sharing....makes me feel normal !!!
    Evan though I work from home, I still have overwhelming days where I get nothing done.....but being able to pick my son up from school ....him running out the door to give me a hug,,,,,priceless!
    These moments I can never get back

    ReplyDelete