Thursday, April 16, 2009

Vendor store success tip #2

No matter the type of business we all invest in printed marketing materials - business cards, brochures and catalogs costing some serious cash. The purpose of these materials is to support us in forging a personal connection with as many new customers as we can. Let's consider how to use these tools at vendor shows and markets to get the biggest bang for our buck.

Stock your cards, brochures and catalogs behind your table where you can easily access them but they can't be randomly gathered by passers by. Many people who attend shows will grab any and all materials whether they are interested in the business or not. This is a waste of your materials! Most of the time these harvesters won't call you and your expensive catalog will end up in their blue box (best case).

Offer catalogs only to customers who truly engage with you and are interested in your product or service. I offer an Epicure catalog with a Dip Mix sample for $2 and the customer's contact information. No contact information no exchange! Then I commit to following up in a couple of days to help them with their first order. Of course I reduce the cost of that order by the amount I've collected for the catalog. By following this process you will regularly identify quality prospects and will have an invitation to call them after the show - the beginning of that personal connection you are working to create!

Holding a draw is a great way to capture the contact information and offers more value to the customer for engaging with you at your booth. When the customer pays the nominal sum for my catalog I hand them a clip board with a draw entry slip and a pen. I encourage them to provide name, phone, email and to recommend the best time for me to call. I let them know what the prize is and remind them that I will call within the next couple of days to follow up.

Hope this was useful. It sure has helped me to get a lot more out of the shows I do. My next post is on follow up and I'll try to publish that later today. Have to see as my little guy has a rotten cold and needs lots of cuddles.

If you are in the Edmonton area this weekend drop by and say hi at my Epicure booth at the Mompreneur Marketplace. 10am to 4pm, April 19th at the Mayfield Inn. Free addmission, fab swag and I'd love to meet you in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment