As WAHMs we know that each day is chock full of all the stuff we have to attend to – tending to the children, preparing meals, doing laundry, cleaning the house, running errands as well as getting our work done. We never seem to stop and there is rarely any down time. Many of us are tired, cranky and run down – hardly what we dreamed it would be like when we decided to be a WAHMs.
Here are 5 tips all of us can use to be happier and healthier.
- ME Time. Oh, we’ve heard it before, but how many of us actually do it? We think we’ll get some time for ourselves later, but it never happens. Make it happen by scheduling it, just like any other appointment. Book that spa treatment or dinner with a friend you’ve been meaning to have. Plan a solo shopping excursion. Arrange time at the gym or sign up for a course. Book a sitter in advance or be sure to remind your partner that you’ll be unavailable. For example, my hubby is happy to be at home with the kids, but he needs me to email him a reminder otherwise he is liable to double book himself!
- Quiet Time. If you have children who nap or have quiet time during the afternoons, you probably try to do some work or homekeeping during this time. Instead, try to have a bit of quiet time yourself. A few minutes reading a good book, meditating, stretching or taking a cat-nap will invigorate you and give you energy to get through the rest of your day.
- Don’t Always Be A Night Owl. Although many of us start our second job after the kids are down, you need a little down time too. Schedule some light work for a couple of evenings a week, and do something fun or relaxing on the other nights. And, remember that you need to get a good night sleep to be your most effective during each busy day!
- The Love Connection. Don’t forget about scheduling time with your hubby or partner - whether it’s for a date night or just a few minutes holding hands on the couch talking in the evening. It may not seem very romantic to schedule time with your loved one, but it is crucial to maintaining a good relationship. And besides, knowing that you have time with your partner gives you something to look forward to!
- Comfort Kit. What are some little luxuries that you enjoy? Chocolate or other snacks? Wine? Specialty coffee or tea? A favorite shower gel or bubble bath? Scented candles? Make sure you have a few of these items on hand and treat yourself to a little happy each day. For me, a great day includes a hot shower with a favorite invigorating shower gel, homemade iced coffee and a yummy granola bar as my afternoon snack, and 15 minutes reading my favorite magazine with my feet up. Sometimes little things can make a big difference.
Taking time to take care of you really is one of the most important things you can do in order to be a better mom, wife and business woman. And when in doubt, just remember the old saying: If Mama ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy!